Winery Khareba, Tunnel Tour and Wine Tasting


Winery Khareba is the company that restored the Gvirabi (tunnel) and is the most famous winery in all Kakheti and Georgia. They offer packages that includes tunnel tour, wine tasting, then churchkela and bread making. 




As for me, I got the classical package at a discounted rate (50%) thanks to my guide who knows a lot of friends, Ha! 



I was introduced to the guide who would tour me around named Taco, a beautiful Georgian girl with a lively spirit. We started going to the tunnel while she retells its history. It is cold and dim inside the tunnel, kind of have an eerie feels (not recommended for claustrophobic people). Each side of the walls have the aged wines arranged which according to Taco, are not for sale as of now. It is still being preserve and has been there for a few years now. 



We went further to the other part of the tunnel that is being used as a gallery. Georgia is considered as the "Cradle of Wine" and has the longest history of winemaking in Caucasus area. Taco explained how wines were made traditionally. She showed the "Qvevri" openings buried underground, an earthenware vessel used for fermentation, storage and a aging of Georgian wines. It is a unique method that some of the citizens still practice until today. Getting wine out of it like fetching water from wells by the materials usually made from native sources, such as wood and horns. 





She also show the big wooden rectangular container and said that it was where the grapes were pressed by feet before (yaykz). She assured me that it was the traditional method and only done during those ancient times, now in the company, they used a modern technology to produce wine. Well, so much for that, I've learned a lot about wine today.



Taco and me



Wine Tasting

We walked in the opposite tunnels before we proceed to the best part, the wine tasting (yay finally!). Since Taco is a good friend of my guide Shota, she included all 4 wines for me to taste, 2 red (semi-sweet and dry) and 2 white (sparkling and dry) wine, some bread and cheese that goes with it. 





Taco demonstrated how to eat the bread, it is perfect being dip in the grape-seed oil. I tried it and its so good, very tasty and has a unique flavor. According to taco, one liter of that oil requires 70 kilos of grapeseed to produce, well that's interesting. I've drink my glasses of wine while they were busy chatting in a Georgian language so I had my time to savor it.

The Chacha Challenge 

Feeling a little tipsy from all the wines I had, we walked out if the tunnel and proceed to a different site. The distillery is where the famous Georgian grape vodka known as "Chacha"is being processed and it definitely has a stronger aroma and higher alcohol content. If you think the wine tasting is the best, I thought so too, but here comes the most challenging and final part of this alcohol-binging trip. 





After Taco showed how it is being made, she made me sit in table with the chacha dispenser and 3 shot glasses in sight. She instructed me that I should drink the shot in one gulp straight. She gave a half full of it and after taking some breaths, I took it. And woah! It went smooth and it's good, it has a combination of bitter, sweet and burning minty taste. I didn't get surprised because it s almost same as the "Lambanog" we used to have at home. A palm vodka, it has a different variety but the process is same through distillation. 



Another shot was given to me and same with the first, took it with one gulp straight, then down to my third and last. I actually enjoyed it, hahah. I'm not a certified alcoholic but it just part of tradition back at home. 

Churchkela and Breadmaking

We proceed to another part of activity which is making churchkela and traditional bread. Feeling the effect of alcohol in my system, I enjoyed it a lot more. It was so fun especially the bread making. I actually experienced firsthand making the dough, shaping it and sticking it the to the wall of the man-made stone oven. 










It was messy and the oven was hot but it was a nice experience and was so fun. After waiting for about 10 minutes, the bread was ready and I was able to taste it (hmm so good). Feeling proud that I made it myself with my own hands. 




Making Churchkela










We proceed to the wine store next and bought some wine, 2 red and 1 chacha, listened to musicians sing traditional Georgian songs then went on our way to our last city stop, Sighnagi.

Other Photos:

Khareba Wine Store






The Musicians 





Comments

Popular Posts